The Union Center for the Arts anchors the northwesternmost end of the Little Tokyo Historic District. It was formerly Union Church, the home of a Japanese American Christian congregation. The building located on Judge John Aiso Street, was completed in 1923, but was damaged during the 1994 Northridge earthquake. The Little Tokyo Service Center Community Development Corporation completed a multi-million dollar renovation of the building in 1998. It now houses three arts organizations, EastWest Players, Visual Communications and LA Artcore, and is a successful example of adaptive reuse.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 License
OptAmosPrime — Last modified Mar 30 2011 8:01 p.m.