What is the Nikkei Album?
The Nikkei Album is a multimedia community storytelling tool that can be used to share personal, family, and community Nikkei stories.
You can create your online album by uploading and organizing your own digital images, documents, video, and other files. But it’s not just about uploading files! What makes Nikkei Album special is our storytelling focus.
These narratives will be preserved and shared as a part of the Nikkei experience, so we encourage you to help with this documentation by including names, places, dates, and other important facts and stories.
Tips for making your own album
Here are some tips to help you get started in putting together your album:
- Think ahead about the story that you want to tell and plan out the album before you start uploading files.
- Your album can be anything you want it to be. Some people just want to upload photos and/or videos and describe them. Other people want to write about the history of their community or share about an event and use photos to illustrate the story. It's up to you how you want to tell your story.
- When you look at old photos, who are the people in that picture? Ask relatives who might know the story in the photo. Get names, dates, and places and add that information to the item description in your album.
- There is no maximum to the number of items that you can use in your album. However, 10 - 20 items is a good amount for most albums. If you have a large amount of photos or other files, break them up into several albums.
- There is no standardized file size for digital images on the Nikkei Album, but a general guideline for preparing your files are: 72 dpi, 80-120 KB, and 800 x 600 pixel resolution. Large files will take much longer to upload online.
- To resize or edit your digital images, you will need to use photo editing software. There are many programs available ranging from basic to professional.
- Adding tags is important. Rich descriptions and tags make it easier for people who search the Nikkei Album to find your content. What kind of words might they type to look for information that will help them find your item?
- Before you publish your album. Take time to review it and make edits if necessary. Don't worry, you can always go back and edit your album even after you publish it.