The Oregon News
The Oregon News was founded in 1909 in Portland, Oregon, by Toyoji Abe, and later published by Iwao Oyama as the Oshu Nippo from 1917 until December 7, 1941. The Oshu Nippo was the primary Japanese language newspaper published in Portland, at 128 NW 2nd Avenue, in the Merchant Hotel building, now home to the Oregon Nikkei Legacy Center .
Mr. Oyama was arrested by the FBI on the afternoon of the attack on Pearl Harbor; the printing press was confiscated and never returned. The paper was reestablished by Mr. Oyama after the war as the Oregon Nippo or the Oregon Weekly , published from 136 NW 3rd Avenue in Japantown as a legal-sized, bilingual mimeograph. Issues were printed into the 1970s. Miss Kimi Tambara, who had served as the editor of the Minidoka Irrigator , was the English editor.
The issue featured here is from the New Year's edition, 1915. At this time, the paper was private, sent by the S. Ban company to all of its laborers working in the western states.
Based on this original
The Oregon News, New Years Edition 1915, Portland