Join the Discover Nikkei Team!
We are hiring a part-time Web Developer to support the technical maintenance and growth of Discover Nikkei. See below for job description and instructions on how to apply.
PART-TIME Web Developer
The Web Developer is responsible for the maintenance and technical development of web applications of the Discover Nikkei project at the Japanese American National Museum. The Web Developer works closely with Web unit and other Museum staff to maintain the Discover Nikkei website: DiscoverNikkei.org, develops technical strategies and plans for Discover Nikkei’s web presence, and finds or develops tools to enhance its day-to-day operations. This is a part-time (24 hours per week) position with funding from The Nippon Foundation. In addition, the Web Developer works part-time (5 hours per week), on the janm.org website to fulfill JANM’s commitment for the National Park Service-sponsored project, “Collections-Based Guide for Digitally Exploring America’s Concentration Camps” and “Meet the Yamashitas” with project and funding end dates of September 30, 2017.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Diagnose and fix technical issues as they arise across the Discover Nikkei website.
- Develop new tools to better support and enhance the Discover Nikkei website/project.
- Assist Web team in keeping web content current.
- Customize and extend existing web infrastructure.
- Contribute to the long-term planning of web infrastructure and website architecture for the Discover Nikkei project.
- Maintain detailed system documentation.
- Provide data processing services, either manually or using custom scripts.
- Keep current on technical and web-related technologies and issues. Advise Museum staff on internet/web technology as needed.
- Administer and maintain web analytics tools to track and report on the data.
- Oversee numerous technology-related aspects for fulfillment of JANM’s National Park Service-funded initiatives, “A Collections-Based Guide for Digitally Exploring America’s Concentration Camps” and “Meet the Yamashitas.” These may include, but may not be limited to: a) Understanding and defining key target audiences and ensuring project features align with their needs and expectations. b) Create site map and wireframes, with input from other JANM staff, to dictate navigation and content flow to ensure outstanding user experience. c) Design mock-ups and prototypes for staff review and comment to guide final product development. d) Oversee third party design and developer vendors. e) Assist with pre-launch testing of the site and all of its features. f) Integrate new product into existing digital properties. g) Ensure that updating/editing functions are within skill set of JANM staff and assist with training staff for maintenance of site.
- Staff members must be able to work with visitors of all ages to support the various events sponsored by the National Museum. Each staff member will be expected to work on a minimum of three museum-wide events per year: a) National Museum’s Annual Gala Dinner and Silent Auction- (off-site) typically held in the Spring (April-May) b) National Museum’s Family Festival Day- Oshogatsu Family Day (January) or Natsumatsuri Family Festival (August) c) JANM Family Free Days – Free Admission Family Days held on select 2nd Saturdays of the month.
This list is not exhaustive and may be supplemented as necessary. Incumbent will perform related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
At least 4 years of experience working with the development of dynamic web applications. Willingness to learn and apply new skills. Ability to multi-task and prioritize is essential. Ability to work well under pressure to meet deadlines. Excellent organizational skills and be detail oriented. Strong proofreading skills. Ability to work in a fast paced team-environment, be a self-starter. Professional phone manner. Demonstrate commitment and flexibility at all times in order to ensure high quality service. Knowledge of Japanese American/Nikkei history and culture as well as the knowledge of Japanese, Spanish, and/or Portuguese a plus.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please download the application form (two parts), and submit with a cover letter and resume.
Email to: email@example.com